Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Week 32



We had our 32 week doctor appointment this morning.  The appts are fairly uneventful these days (no more ultrasounds), the usual... pee in a cup, listen for the heartbeat, the doctor measures the belly and feels how the baby is positioned, and lots of time for questions/discussion.  Our doctor group has 7 doctors and I have decided to see all of them since any of them could be delivering me.  I have seen 6 of 7 so far and really liked them all.  Today, the doctor said I was measuring 32-33 inches (which should be pretty much in line with how many weeks you are).  He also said that the baby is head down, so that is good news!  I frequently notice a big curved bump on the right side of my belly and that is where her back is, with her feet coming down the left side of my belly.  She is still being extremely active which is always fun!  The doctor also said I was having a contraction when he was feeling my belly, so I guess what I thought were Braxton Hicks contractions actually are.  I wasn't sure because they don't hurt at all, my belly just gets extremely hard.  From here we have a similar 34 week appointment, and then weekly appointments from 36-40 weeks which include pelvic exams to see if I am starting to dilate.  I can't believe how fast it's going! 

I am counting down with only 15 more days left of work since I get the month before off!  Even more exciting coming off of busy season!  I am really looking forward to having more time to relax, exercise, and read lots of baby books. 

Joel marched in the St Patricks Day parade last weekend with the Friendly Sons of St Patrick and I went to watch this year.  It was pretty entertaining to see him and his group, but overall the parade was a little lame and I discovered that beer gardens are not fun places for pregnant women to hang out (surrounded by drunk people and the smell of beer- yuck!). 

Week 32 baby update (whattoexpect.com):
This week, your body may start prepping for delivery day by flexing its muscles — literally. If you feel your uterus bunching or hardening periodically, those are practice contractions, otherwise known as Braxton Hicks. These rehearsals (typically experienced earlier and with more intensity in women who've been pregnant before) feel like a tightening sensation that begins at the top of your uterus then spreads downward, lasting from 15 to 30 seconds (though they can sometimes last two minutes or more). What's up with your baby? She's starting to get ready for her big debut, tipping the scales at almost four pounds and topping out at just about 19 inches. In these last few weeks, it's all about practice, practice, practice as she hones the skills she'll need to survive and thrive outside the womb, from swallowing and breathing to kicking and sucking. And speaking of sucking, your little one has been able to suck her thumb for a while now. Another change this week: As more and more fat accumulates under your baby's skin, she's becoming less transparent and more opaque.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment