Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Week 39... almost there! : )


I can't believe it is week 39!  And I feel like the belly is giant!!  We just came from the doctor and she said that I am 75% effaced and 1-2 cm dilated.  She said that the effacement is more important than the dilation and that she is happy with that progress.  If I were not effaced (the cervix was not thinning) at this point a C-section could be more likely.  So, we are just WAITING for something to happen!  It is so hard!  I am definitely trying to enjoy the last of our time as a couple before the craziness begins though.  We went out to a wonderful steak dinner last weekend and I have been having lunch with a few friends and doing lots of reading and walking.  I have been doing lots of organizing too... the nesting instinct they talk about is definitely real! 

I was having contractions last night for about 2 hours or so that were pretty regular and about 7 minutes apart so I thought maybe something was happening, but I didn't really have any pain and they eventually slowed down so still just Braxton Hicks I guess (but at least the uterus is practicing!).  I am sure that when I am actually going into labor it will not feel good and I will know it!  The doctor said that she doesn't want me to go past 41 weeks so we will certainly have a baby by May 18th!  I go in for my 40 week appointment on my due date (the 11th) if I haven't gone into labor by then and the doctor said we will schedule an inducement at that point.  She is on call at the hospital on the 12th (although all the doctors there would be fine to deliver me) we are thinking we will try to schedule it for the 12th if it gets to that point.  She said I would go to the hospital the night before so they could put something (I can't remember what it's called, sorry!) inside me that softens the cervix for 12 hours.  Then they would start the pitocin the next morning which would start the contractions.  She said from there I would most likely deliver by late afternoon and if I haven't delivered later that evening a c-section may be in order.  It feels good to know that there is an end in sight and what to expect at least.  And very exciting that we will definitely meet the baby soon! 

Week 39 update from Babycenter.com:
Your baby's waiting to greet the world! He continues to build a layer of fat to help control his body temperature after birth, but it's likely he already measures about 20 inches and weighs a bit over 7 pounds, a mini watermelon. (Boys tend to be slightly heavier than girls.) The outer layers of his skin are sloughing off as new skin forms underneath.


No comments:

Post a Comment